Dec 5, 2022
Realizing its importance and need for conservation, each year December 5 is celebrated internationally as World Soil Day. This year, the 9th World Soil Day is celebrated with the theme ‘Soils: Where food begins’ “स्वास्थ माटोको साथ, खाद्य उत्पादनको शुरुवात”. The day aims to raise awareness of importance of maintaining healthy ecosystem and human well-being by addressing the growing challenges in soil management, increasing soil awareness, and encouraging societies to improve soil health.
Some tips to maintain soil health:
• Minimize soil disturbance by limiting tillage activities and optimization of chemical inputs.
• Maximize soil cover by growing cover crops, using organic mulch, and leaving plant residues in the field.
• Ensure regular crop rotation including legumes.
• Use well decomposed farmyard manure and green manures.
• Prevent soil acidification by limiting use of urea and applying calculated amount of agricultural lime.
Soil is something that we have ignored for years, and soil is something that urgently needs our attention. Let us save soil before it is too late. Wishing everyone a very Happy World Soil Day.
#WorldSoilDay #WorldSoilDay2022 #isap #PIWAAI #PIWAAI_agriculture